POSTED ON: 22nd of July 2019
Room for Art
Funded by the Edinburgh Integrated Joint Board, ROOM FOR ART is Art in healthcare’s programme of visual arts workshops delivered by artists throughout Edinburgh using a social prescribing approach and occupational therapy supported model of 1:1s.
Making ‘room for art’ and taking part in arts activity can impact positively and in some cases have a transformative effect on health and wellbeing. We see it time and time again in the work we do.
Here is some more information about the project:
There are lots of opportunities to volunteer at these free weekly group workshops which are delivered by artists.
To support the artists delivering the workshop. This is purely an assistant role – you would never be expected to deliver a workshop yourself.
Specific tasks in workshops
· Help with set up and tidy:
o Moving tables and chairs
o Lay out and tidy away materials
o Wash up of materials and teas and coffees
· Make teas and coffees for participants
· Chat to participants and join in with activity to make your own art
· Assist people with their artwork when required i.e. finding specific materials
· Undertake the occasional sort out of materials and help artist with orders
· Assist with observation forms and any other evaluation
· Attend sharing events with other volunteers and artists
What do you get out of it?
· You will be given 1:1 guidance and support from Outreach Manager and artists you work with
· Meet new people and see the impact art can have on health and wellbeing
· Gain an insight into facilitating art workshops and get experience of supporting people
· Try new art techniques by taking part in the workshops
· Enhance your CV and gain written references after a minimum of 3 months
· A PVG certificate if you don’t already have one
What we are looking for in you
· Great communication skills and enjoyment talking to people
· A clear and friendly manner
· A passion for supporting people and an enthusiasm for Art in Healthcare and ROOM FOR ART
· Reliability and good timekeeping
· Commitment to weekly workshops (3 hours of your time each week including set up and tidy up)
Days / times / Locations of ROOM FOR ART:
· Mondays 10am – 1pm at the Health Agency in Wester Hailes
· Tuesdays 10am – 1pm at Piershill Library
· Wednesdays 12 – 3 at North Edinburgh Arts
· Thursdays 12 – 3 at Whale Arts in Wester Hailes
· Thursdays 12 – 3 at Piershill LIbrary.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with
a brief expression of interest and availability. We will then invite you for an
informal interview at Art in Healthcare.